Monday, February 5, 2018

Love Story & Indie Folk Friendship Braids Quilt

Love Story & Indie Folk Friendship Braids QAYG Quilt

I'm so excited to share my first quilt finish of 2018 -- A Friendship Braids QAYG Quilt made in my recently released Love Story collection for Art Gallery Fabrics + Pat Bravo's beautiful Indie Folk collection for AGF. These romantic, boho prints and saturated colors speak to me like no other. You may have noticed my affection for them over the past few weeks, I can't stop reaching for them for bags, pillows and this first quilt of the new year!

Love Story & Indie Folk Friendship Braids QAYG Quilt

This quilt started back in November when I came up with this new qayg idea using the Quick Quilt As You Go method that I teach in my Craftsy class. To make this quilt top I used all twenty Indie Folk quilting cottons, several of my Love Story prints cut into strips measuring 3" x WOF, plus forty 8" x 15" cotton batting rectangles.

Love Story and Indie Folk Friendship Braid QAYG

Once each rectangle cut of batting was covered with fabric edge to edge, I trimmed away the access fabric and batting to measure 7.5" x 14". I stitched the pretty blocks together first in pairs using just slightly larger than a 1/4" seam allowance and then I stitched them all together to finish a quilt top measuring approximately 56" x 68", a wonderful throw size!

Love Story and Indie Folk Friendship Braid QAYG

Love Story & Indie Folk Friendship Braids QAYG Quilt

I finished the quilt by attaching the backing fabric, my favorite Indie Folk print Khokhloma Burgundia, sewing through each layer a 1/4" from both sides of where my blocks were sewn together. Video instructions for finishing this style of qayg quilts can be found in my Craftsy class. I just love how quickly this style of quilt comes together, with such a beautiful finish each time!

Love Story & Indie Folk Friendship Braids QAYG Quilt

Love Story & Indie Folk Friendship Braids QAYG Quilt -- Backed in Indie Folk

Love Story & Indie Folk Friendship Braids QAYG Quilt -- Backed in Indie Folk

I chose to bind this quilt using Pat's colorful, unique take on a stripe, Indie Folk's Trinket Vivid. I tend to use stripe prints for my binding and this one fits this finish so nicely!

Love Story & Indie Folk Friendship Braids QAYG Quilt -- Bound in Indie Folk

I sold this quilt during my holiday sale back in December, but I've been so tempted to add this quilt as a made to order item in my Etsy shop since I sold this one, that I decided to give it a try!  It's truly one that I would love the chance to make again and again and again...

Love Story & Indie Folk Friendship Braids QAYG Quilt

I tried my best to include details for those of you who are interested in making a Friendship Braids QAYG quilt of your own, but by all means, please feel free to ask any questions you may have in the comments anytime. Sharon Holland and I have been busy preparing our next sampler quilt-along, otherwise I would have loved to share a quick tutorial. I still would love to, if I can find a little extra time this month. In case you missed our announcement, be sure to check it out on my Instagram! We had such a wonderful experience co-hosting last year's Sewcial Bee Sampler together that we decided to do another, with a new pattern and a new name. I'll be back with details soon!

xo Maureen

10 comments:

  1. this is absolutely stunning! what a fun project.I fully intend on trying it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this quilt. I love the fabrics very much.
    I am so timid when it comes to making such vibrant and wonderfully creative works of art, really! I should try more stuff.
    This collection of fabrics is just perfect for this pattern.
    Thank you so much Maureen for sharing your creativity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you should! It's so fun to mix it up and these saturated colors are so beautiful to work with!

      Delete
  3. These two collections look great together. Thanks for sharing. Can't wait for the new sampler sew along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I can't wait for you to see! Sharon is the pattern designer half of our duo and I promise you, this is going to be SO good!!

      Delete
  4. I love this braided effect that you have on this quilt. My favorite quilt that I’ve made is the one I made using your quilt as you go herringbone tutorial. I would love to see how you start this block to get that braided look. Your fabrics are beautiful 😍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good news! I received an order for one, so I plan to do a tutorial of the block to share soon! :)

      Delete
  5. That pattern looks like it would be great for scraps, against a crazy quilt vibe going on.

    I want wait for your next sew along! Eep! I just finished hand quilting the last one. Maybe the next one will involve your fabrics I won last round. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely, lovely quilt and to think you finished it so quickly. I have done a braided border before but not a block. How does one put them together with the batting attached?? It looks so smooth.
    I would love to see a tutorial on how to put the blocks together. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. DUDUK santai , MAIN game dapet duit buang Stres Loh Tunggu apa lagi? yuk gabung sekarang juga di MOLEKTOTO DAPATKAN: BONUS NEW MEMBER 10%
    BONUS DEPOSIT HARIAN 5RB
    DEPOSIT VIA PULSA TANPA POTONGAN LOH!!
    Yuk gabung sekarang juga! di WWW.MOLEKTOTO.INFO

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment!

If you are a no reply or an anonymous commenter, I will be sure to respond to your comment right here - so please do check back!